The HDDC hosts professional development seminars, continuing education classes and networking opportunities aimed at elevating sustainable design and creating better lives for ourselves and our neighbors.

4.10.2009

Meet Mindy

Mindy Lyman
Interior Designer

HDDC Founder and President


Tell us a little something about yourself.
I have a list of “Things to do before I die.” The most recent item I crossed of was learning to ride a motorcycle and getting my endorsement.

How did you get involved in the design industry?
I started out wanting to be an architect. I took drafting courses in high school and job shadowed. When applying to college at the University of Oregon, I noticed that one of the architecture degree requirements was Physics. I quickly changed my major to interior architecture and never looked back!

What inspires you?
I love to see innovative new uses for old things. “Adaptive-Reuse” is a concept I learned in college that has really stuck with me. I also really like clever, inexpensive ideas that make a big impact. I love looking at student projects, they always seem to impress me with how witty and leading edge they are.

What is your favorite 'green' product?
Linoleum. Linoleum has always been green, but the design aspect has come a long way. I’m waiting for LED to become my next favorite green product. The quality and price need to meet a bit more within reach, once they do LED is going to take off with a bang.

What was your most challenging project and why?
I find all my projects challenging. They all have had different problems with different solutions. And it never seems to fail that a pivotal material, one that ties the whole scheme together, gets discontinued or is out of stock! I’ve learned to have back-up materials ready just in case.

Which project are you most proud of?
I’m proud of aspects of several projects. I love the men’s restroom at Decoy Bar & Grill, we found some used copper sinks that are fantastic and black hexagon tiles that offer a “masculine vintage” edge. I love the dry fountain at Columbia River Bank in Yakima, I used flagstone of various sizes and pebble tiles to create a creek bed look. We topped it off with huge basalt columns.

What is the best advice you’ve ever given or received?
One I like to give but not always follow: Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share