The HDDC hosts professional development seminars, continuing education classes and networking opportunities aimed at elevating sustainable design and creating better lives for ourselves and our neighbors.

4.21.2009

Meet Al

Al Crosland
Owner


How did you get involved in the design industry?
My mother made me.

Seriously, I saw a need to stop the wasting of wood cabinets, doors, trim and floors…therefore, I got into the business to recycle those wood items with a non-toxic renewal process.


In the last two years I have been working with designers to come up with intriguing colors to change cabinets.

Also, my mother likes what I do.

What inspires you?
Nature’s beautiful expressions found in wood grain. Also, I love fast singletrack (mountain biking).

What is your favorite 'green' product?
My service, hands down. I also love bicycles.

What was your most challenging project and why?
Changing my mother’s mind.

Other than that it would have to be a project where we started with a very traditional looking knotty alder cabinetry throughout the entire 5500 sf home and changed them to a deep umber. The home was new and the owner did not want to move into it until the cabinetry was a different color. He picked the color originally; however, after everything was done the colors did not work well together. The project was big and took longer than a day, three days…yup, sometimes they do take longer. The customer was very satisfied with the results and the contrast that the cabinetry had with all the other wood in the home.

Which project are you most proud of?
At the risk of sounding cliché’ed, every project form the smallest to the largest. My service can have such a dramatic change, for such a small amount of money spent, that I am very proud of all my work.

What is the best advice you’ve ever given or received?
Listen to your mother.

Also, do not, under any circumstances, try to get the spoon out of the disposal without clearing the kitchen of mischievous children.

One other thing, quit letting your bike get dusty in the garage…I'm sure it will need a hug before you ride it next.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share